Tuesday 7 July 2009

Bedroom help needed

Have you ever had one of those rooms that just doesn't seem to look right? Individually things look ok, but all together it doesn't look welcoming or cohesive or cosy or stylish... Our large bedroom is one such room. I call it the large bedroom, rather than the master bedroom, because we don't actually sleep in it. We much prefer our cute, small room (with the lovely bird wallpaper), so this room is actually our guest room. It's also where we keep our clothes, so I suppose that for all intents and purposes really it's a dressing room. Although if there has ever been a dressing room with worse storage then I'd like to hear about it. I must get the camera out and take more shots, but imagine this - one double ikea leksvik wardrobe and one ikea chest of drawers. In total. For the two of us... I have lots of my dresses actually hung on the side of the wardrboe, and the boy's work clothes spend most of their time in the ironing basket, which frees up a bit more space, but still, it's far from ideal.

Anyway, there are a few pictures below...I'll take more tomorrow, with a view of the whole room, and the window and curtains etc. I realise I took these trying to make the place look as nice as possible, rather than the reverse!

The problem, I think, is the white paint. I love white, and it seems to work well in the rest of the house, but maybe it's just too harsh in this room. I'm wondering whether a pale grey might look nice, to coordinate with the Laura Ashley Erin wallpaper (in charcoal). Also, maybe the pictures aren't quite right... Are the frames too matchy matchy?

The look I'd really like to go for is a little bit vintage, or a bit quirky. It's a bit too late (and way past my bedtime) to be very articulate about this, but what I don't really like is the sparse hotel look.

Anyway, any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated! (Although please don't tell me to paint the furniture!)

thanks x




1 comment:

  1. I love the furniture, but I'm partial to the knotty pine look. I agree that it's the white paint. For bedrooms, I love the look of sage green and although it's out I love the sponge look. I was in a bedroom (wish I had a pic to send you) 2 years ago while house hunting where they had green walls with a sponge effect and it was so cozy and warm. The room was HUGE so the color didn't eat up space visually. I think if you added a color along that line (earth tone) you'd see a huge change. I love how everything looks so lived in. If you have white trim, keep it white. It'll be a nice contrast. I'm looking forward to read what other people suggest!

    ReplyDelete