Saturday 30 May 2009

Side tables and a little DIY



Having a fair-sized, but not huge, lounge has meant that I’ve decided to do without a coffee table. I think it would just clutter the place up and become a dumping ground for all the weekend papers… Instead, I have three small side tables (one shown above, and one below - if you look closely). They were an ultimate bargain – £3.50 for the three, picked out of a charity shop by my eagle eyed mum. They’re oak, and so complement the rest of the furniture perfectly.



Another side table purchase was again spotted in a charity shop – this time for a mere 40 pence. I’ve spray painted it a rather fetching pale blue (good ol’ plasikote) and it now complements our new Laura Ashley summer palace wallpaper rather perfectly. It will hold our books, and a small lamp. Perfect.



You could of course customise your own table with wallpaper, or even pages from magazines, or old newspapers. I’ve covered this telephone table (which is actually advertised as a stool, rather than a table, in Ikea) with the same wallpaper as is on the wall behind it. It means it doesn’t stand out too much, and again, is just a little bit different. It really was easy to do, and as I varnished it afterwards, it’s very hardy. What I need now is a cool phone - I love the old fashioned looking ones that come in a variety of colours, but I don't think I'd be able to live with a phone that wasn't cordless. Although that would stop my boyfriend dropping countless phones in the bath - he likes to chat whilst he soaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment